fot

Re: TR6 axles 2nd try

To: "andrew stark" <whitedog72@hotmail.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 axles 2nd try
From: "Wendy Hart" <hartw@plastekgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:29:47 -0400
Our first attempt at pulling a hub apart was easy. The second time involved
a 20 ton press, a hefty piece of pipe, a couple cans of PB Blaster and then
a call to Ted Schumacher after we bent the flange. We bent the pipe, too!

Ted sent us another unit which we soaked some more PB Blaster on, put in the
freezer for a day and then tried a more gentle approach to pulling it apart
with a plate I had the guys at my shop EDM for me to help support the flimsy
flange. It didn't work and so we just cleaned it up a bit, put some fresh
paint on it and it put it on the car. Looks good, works fine.

My suggestion is if it isn't causing you any trouble, leave it alone.
Especially if you don't have the right tool, such as a Churchill puller.
It's much more expensive to fix your mistake when you bung up the flange
than if you send the whole thing off to a pro and get a rebuilt unit.

>From a Do-it-Yerselfer,
Wendy Hart
75 TR6