fot

SAD NEWS from ENGLAND

To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: SAD NEWS from ENGLAND
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:08:42 EDT
Amici:

I received this sad, but interesting news from Paul Richardson, in England.

Bill Dentinger

<<<<<   Hi Bill

I learnt a couple of weeks ago that George Jones died in March. He prepared
all my father's special gearboxes right from the start of the TR2 era, and
became head of gearbox design for Triumph. Later he became Group Chief
Powertrain Engineer over BMC, Triumph, Rover, Jaguar and Leyland when the
industry was merged. It is little known that George designed the integrated
wheel bearing (with a constant velocity universal drive joint housed within
in its central axis) for the large Austin FWD range. Colin Chapman of Lotus
was so impressed with the bearing that he asked George if he could use it on
his Lotus F1 cars. Andretti won the F1 championship in 1978 with George Jones
designed rear hub bearings. George was duly presented with one of the
bearings from Andretti's car as a souvenir.

George was a thoroughly delightful and very clever man who most Triumph
enthusiasts will have heard little about.Fortunately, I have his life story
on tape so his work, which had an enormous bearing on Triumph competition
successes, will not be forgotten.

I'd be ever grateful if you would click this note onto the FOT list

Best wishes as ever

Paul   >>>>>