fot

Re:Re: Lifter Hardness

To: N197TR4@cs.com
Subject: Re:Re: Lifter Hardness
From: Joe Boruch <jaboruch@netzero.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:48:30 GMT
While we are talking hardness, I meaasured some new and old oil pump
shafts.  That is the short shaft that comes off of the rotor.  THe new
stuff is soft at 14 RC.  The old ones were 50 and 60 RC (I checked 2
of them.  I did not go the next step to wet grind them and check for
internal hardness.  My suspision is that the old ones are case
hardened.

Joe(B)

---------- N197TR4@cs.com writes:

Matching hardness makes sense....gear hardness falls within a fairly narrow
band of specification at 58-62 RC.

I wonder also about the depth of hardening (case hardness) on lifters.

Isnt Chuck Gee a metalurgist...Chuck?

Joe (A)