fot

Re: TR4 questions

To: <Bd309@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 questions
From: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:44:35 -0700
I tried to use Strombergs for four years, just because everybody else used
SU's. I finally got my car competitive on the straights but it would
stumble coming out of corners. I finally figured out why. The Stroms have
very shallow float bowls and the floats are pivoted on the side -- so when
you go around a left corner the floats drop down, excess fuel is pumped
through the jet and into the engine, and it takes a few seconds for the
engine to clear itself. On the other corners, you get an equal amount of
leanout.

This problem is avoided if you use SU's and you turn the float chamber tops
so the float pivots are not on the side but rather are in front and back.
Some of the float chamber tops are not configured to allow you to do this
easily, but they can be modified.  When you get this far, send me another
emaiil and I'll send you some pictures.

> > Everyone says to use MGB GT front springs but what weight are they? I
have
>found several ranging from 450-480 lbs. I have also found several different
>height springs. Moss Motors lists two springs for the GTs depending on the
>year of the car.

I have the 480 lb rate MGB/GT front springs in my TR4, with the upper
aluminum spacer removed. This works fine and drops the car to about where
you want it to be. I've then put lowering blocks in the rear to bring it
down to where it is level.

> > I am new to the FOT list and am just starting to build my TR4. Any and
all
>help is greatly appreciated.

Good luck with your project. Don't hesitate to ask anything. There are few
secrets among us.

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob

uncle jack