fot

Re: Race Report, sort of...

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: Race Report, sort of...
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:46:49 EDT
In a message dated 09/23/2002 2:52:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Race Report, sort of...
> Date:09/23/2002 2:52:52 PM Central Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:vinttr4@geneseo.net";>vinttr4@geneseo.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:thefryes@iconn.net";>thefryes@iconn.net</A>, <A
>HREF="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</A>
> CC:<A HREF="mailto:peb3@cornell.edu";>peb3@cornell.edu</A>, <A
>HREF="mailto:hakhutch@megalink.net";>hakhutch@megalink.net</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Stop stop stop
>
> Laughing this hard isn't good for my heart

Jack:

Agreed, but we need such relief after the report we must make from this past
week end's ELKHART LAKE VINTAGE FESTIVAL at Road America.  Staunch TRIUMPH
aficionado, and vintage TR3A racer Kent Howard had a terrible incident just
past the kink, resulting in the total demise of his beautiful TR3A race car.
The way I understand it, Kent and a Mini Cooper had been dicing for most of a
lap, and the Cooper managed to get by him (on the outside) coming out of the
carousel.  Kent followed the Mini through the kink, but he was slightly off
line to the right, having allowed room on the left for the Mini to complete
his pass.  Both were followed by a very fast Porsche 356, who was attempting
to lap both of them.  Kent's exit line left about a foot short of what the
Porsche needed to make such a pass.  The Porsche hooked a wheel on the
outside of the track causing the car to jerk to the right, striking Kent.
Both went immediately into the concrete wall (ala Dale Ernhardt) at (my
guess) 100 mph+ (conservative guess).  I talked to the Mini driver, who said
in his rear view mirror it appeared Kent hit the wall, bounced into a
vertical position, and then back down on the nose.  The car looks like it got
in an argument with a Sherman Tank.  Thank God both driver's walked away.
Accidents in Road America's kink and the straight thereafter are not always
that forgiving.

Once again we are reminded that while great fun, our hobby is SERIOUS
business, and we must constantly strive to make it safe and keep it
save...even if that means postponing a pass, or God forbid, going slower.  We
need a belt & suspenders attitude where safety is concerned.

Perhaps others can give specific details of the week end.  I know you (Uncle
Jack) went fast.  Tony Drews was testing his new race car.  He seemed
pleased, and looked good out there.  The Group Two Feature Race (includes
TR2-4s) had a black flag finish.  I have no idea who beat who.  We were so
concerned with Kent Howard, we never went after a Race Results sheet.

In the Beady Eye VINTAGE TRIUMPH Racing Tent, I think Don Brick had the
fastest Lap Times.  Bob Wismer sure had a hot car this week end.  The Thunder
Bolt started on fire on the Pace Lap.  He lost a float bowl nut.  Ole Blue
finished every session, but we were still running hot at the end of each, and
had evidence of water in the oil.  Tried to dice with John Fridirici.  We
swapped places two or three times on the green flag lap, but he won't wait
for me after he does get by.  Nice guy?

Gary Wiezorek (sp ?) went fast.  I couldn't catch him, and I was trying to.
John Houlton's TR4 seems to be running better than ever.  It always looked
good, but didn't always run good.  Seems to be sorted out now.

Irv Korey continues to get more and more comfortable.  He was having a good
dice with Don Brick in one of the early sessions.

Friday had some Texas style gully washers, but the Group Two afternoon
session was semidry.  Saturday and Sunday were both cool, but bright and
sunny.  And Francis Drews brought a delicious German Chocolate Cake for
Jack's birthday.  73rd, I think, but I don't always get everything right.

Joe Alexander was there, sans car.  I think Joe makes every event.  How does
he do that?  He must be able to Bi-locate like some of the other saints did.

Others can add the important details I missed.  I know Dr. Ceiley and at
least one other GT6 raced, along with a gaggle of Spitfires, but they are in
another group, so perhaps someone else can report.

Bill Dentinger

PS

Great aged brick, baby brick, and bleu cheese and crackers were served in the
Beady Eye Tent each afternoon, along with fine wine in glass stemware.  Glass
stemware carefully etched with the Beady Eye logo.  We've been doing this
vintage racing thing a long time, and we have become VERY civilized.  We've
learned what is and isn't important in the vintage racing paddock.
Incidentally, kudos to Ted Schumacher and T&S Imports, who got the glasses
done for us.  They are very elegant and the price was right.  Lots of people
think Don Brick's Bleu cheese is as close as we get to 'culture.'  Wait till
they see our new stemware.