fot

Re: Race Report, sort of...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race Report, sort of...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:59:43 -0600 (MDT)
Gee, reminds me of the Boulder VTR convention back in, uh, 1990.  I hauled my
TR4A solid axle autocrosser over, can't remember if it had the blue stripes
on it or not, but it was sporting the 8.5" wide Shelby wheels with some
225/45/15 Hoosier autocross tires - on the way over from Salt Lake, all the
low riders were checking it out ;-)

Anyway, hanging out in the host hotel parking the guys were watching a the
funkhana, where the first part involved a blindfold for the driver.  Knowing
that part of the driving activities were at a racetrack (up in Mead) Bob
Bownes and John Lye had their fire suits, just in case.  Anyway, when The
White Car rumbled up to the starting line with John and Bob in full regalia,
a lot of folks ran for their video cameras, trust me.  As I recall, about
half of them ran the other way when the starter said go and the driver, I
think it was John, put a fair bit of welly into it!  They didn't win, but I
bet it was the most photographed funkhana run that year.

As for the race track, the autocross was a fiasco, and was the impetus for
the formation of the VTR Autocross Advisory Board and the national rules.
We did get to drive around the track later after the typical afternoon
thundershower sent the shiners scurrying for cover.  Anyone in that
frustrating parade remember 100 AYI ?

mjb.