fot

RE: Accusump

To: "'Rocky Entriken'" <rocky@tri.net>, VANDECARR@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Accusump
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:35:40 -0700
Absolutely right Rocky, though the issue of the sun heat is not
eliminated. If the accusump was full and the valve was closed when the oil
was cool, the pressure would rise from the sun's heat. But the only way it
would be likely to blow the sump would be when the bladder has failed and
the system is completely full of oil.

For that matter, my accusump has a relief valve on it. I thought they were
standard. It's never lifted, but I always thought it would sure be messy
if it did. I think it's on the air side though.

I've never been completely sure how much oil to put in my car with an
accusump installed. In theory you could run the sump quite a bit lower
since the accusump will deal with any loss of pressure due to the pump
inlet getting uncovered. In practice I like the idea of having plenty of
oil, so I rev the engine to fill the accusump with about 80 pounds of
accumulator pressure, close the valve and let the oil get to about 180
(the water temp usually reaches 210 about the same time), shut the engine
down and let it drain to the oil pan and then set the level at the bottom
mark of the dispstick. I figure that's pretty conservative. If you run the
engine at about 2K revs and get the oil pressure to about 30-40 pounds,
let it heat up, close the valve, shut off the engine and measure the oil
level it will be right about the high mark or even a bit above.

When I'm racing I don't spend any time at that low an RPM (2K), so I
suspect the oil pan level is down around the bottom mark, but I don't ever
see oil pressure higher than what I can get with cool oil and a bit of
revs, so I'm reasonably sure I'm keeping everything where it should be.

The valve on an accusump should be open for as long as the engine is
running (unless you're trapping the volume to pre-oil), otherwise it's not
doing you any good. I hate it when I forget to turn off the valve and I
don't have pressure to pre-oil the engine. Not only am I dredging the
crank through oil, but it feels bad to crank over unlubed bearings, once
you have the option.