fot

2003 VARAC Vintage Festival Info on fot-racing.com

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: 2003 VARAC Vintage Festival Info on fot-racing.com
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:25:35 -0400
Greetings one and all,

As you read here in the past few weeks the Vintage Automobile Racing
Association of Canada (VARAC) has announced that Triumph will be the
featured marque at their Vintage Festival June 27-29, 2003. We are hoping
this will be another huge turnout for us, similar to our success at
Mid-Ohio this year.

This all started when the guys that run VARAC came to Mid-Ohio and saw that
the Triumph guys came out in force, had a great time and put on a great
show. At the 2002 Vintage Festival our own Russ Moore struck up a
conversation with the VARAC guys and talked about what might happen if
Triumph was made the feature marque, and how much fun it would be to get a
group of cars like we had at Mid-Ohio up to Mosport. By the time the SVRA
race at Watkins Glen rolled around, VARAC made their decision. I had a few
beers with the VARAC guys at the Glen and they convinced me that they could
help us make this event bigger and better than the Mid-Ohio event.

This is what we know so far.

The entry fees are in the order of about half of SVRA.

Because VARAC does not cater to the late model NASCAR, Thundersports and
Formula 5000 type of entries, we will get twice the track time than the
typical SVRA event.

VARAC is prepared to allow all road racing Triumphs run, even current SCCA
specification cars, as long as they run on TREADED TIRES.

Our new racing friends from England are coming back for this one! Word is
they are fully committed with 8 cars on their transporter and a few guys
are on standby! Gents, it sounds like you may need another transporter!

We have been promised an All-Triumph Race. Talk is in the air about another
Triumph/MG Challenge Race as well.

The Canadian Triumph clubs ave been contacted and are enthusiastic about
participating. Preliminary ideas have been to run an autocross and/or a
rally for the street-going Triumphs. Details to follow.

This is shaping up to be the big event of next year. In order to gauge
interest we are again asking that everyone who is interested in
participating go to fot-racing.com. Follow the links to the VARAC race
pages and fill out and submit the form. If VARAC sees we are looking at
showing up with a huge number of cars we will get even better treatment, I
am sure.

I know several guys who are active on this FOT mail list have attended this
event. Every person I have talked to who runs this event says the same
thing. Mosport is a very challenging track, VARAC puts on a super event,
the strength of the US dollar against the Canadian dollar gives this event
the highest dollar per smile ratio around, and everybody at the track is
100% hospitable. The folks from VARAC and Mosport know how to make racers
feel welcome, and show us a great time.

Joe Alexander is again helping behind the scenes to make this event all it
can be. Russ Moore is also pitching in, and is acting as our liaison with
VARAC. I am doing my part with the communications again, keeping the web
pages at fot-racing.com up to date. Questions, comments, and volunteers can
contact any one of us.

Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available.