fot

Re: Auto-art .... Was blatant etc

To: Kas Kastner <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Auto-art .... Was blatant etc
From: Justin <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:53:11 -0800
During the 80's, my machine shop of choice was "Bishop and Buehl Engineering"
here in Southern California.   They were heavy into formula one racing, I seem
to recall, and like everyone else at the time, they also did a lot of work on
V8's. However, working on my Triumph (tractor) motor was a total change of pace
for them.

...any ways...

I had started to prepare a motor that I wanted to be totally over-the-top and
bullet-proof... Following Darryl Buehl's recommendation, my crank out to another
company that ground it undersize, chromed it oversize, and then turned it down
and polished it to standard...  Apparently this was the hottest thing you could
do at the time... and I recall it cost me $350.00.   (Darryl felt guilty about
the cost and chose not to mark it up.  He showed me the receipt from the other
company to show me that he hadn't.)   I kept that crank in a box with other
parts that they B&B had worked on, waiting to put it on that one hot dream
motor....      I still haven't used it!   I kept hanging on to it for a future
car and settled for nitriding, etc. on the engines I've rebuilt since!

What's your thoughts on this process Kas?   I don't really hear anything about
it.

--Justin Wagner