fot

Re: accelerator shaft

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: accelerator shaft
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:55:54 -0800 (PST)
I ran into this problem with my 4A about 8 years back - after the
nail that someone had used instead of a roll pin finally sheared
inside the accelerator linkage (made for a fairly unpleasant drive
home - two hours on the freeway with almost no accelerator control).

My cross shaft was bent, too, and wouldn't come out. After much
perusal of parts books, I recognized that the TR2 and early 3 had
a two-part assembly, and that later cars got a one piece (presumably
to save money). I took a giant step backwards in time and made a new
cross shaft out of stainless, after hacksawing off the pedal
well inside the firewall.

Today, I'd probably go with the advice to switch to a cable; keeping
all those little ball joints lubricated and adjusted is a nuisance.