fot

Re: Re:Subject: Rear dif, hubs for TR6

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>, <Catpusher@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re:Subject: Rear dif, hubs for TR6
From: "riverside" <riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:46:07 -0800
The locker debate will never cease.  I'll throw in my $.02 worth.  I started
w/ an open rear end in my TR3 with the
predictable results.  Having no money and being reared in
a dirt racing environment,  the welded rear end seemed
the logical answer.   I found that pace laps were pretty
touchy.  I needed to jerk the car into a corner in order to
unload the inside rear tire and keep it from steering the
car.  Once I got my speed up, I relly liked it.   It was
predictable and bumps did not confuse it.  At my last
driver school on the rough Mid America Raceway, there
was a TR4 there w/ a detroit locker.  His car was a few
seconds faster, but thru the rougher corners, I could easily
put distance on him.  I firmly believe that the fast way around
a track is with the right foot firmly on the right pedal as soon as
possible.  This means that on many corners, we stand
on the gas before turning the steering wheel!   W/ this
technique (see J. Stewart) the welded gears add to stability
and good  traction. You get exceptional corner exit but
if the wheel w/ traction loses its power, there is trouble.
On the other hand,  pushing the thing around the pits is
a pain.
art d