fot

Re: Synthetic gear oil in OD gearbox

To: "Joe Curry" <Spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Synthetic gear oil in OD gearbox
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:02:10 +1300
Off hand I would say it would be OK but thinking about it perhaps it is the
problem. I used to use a part synthetic gear oil which is available as a GL4
and a GL5 which didn't appear to give any problems.
>From what I found out many years ago GL5 oil tends to attack the surface of
copper based materials so thin items (as the thrust washers in a diff) will
break - it doesn't appear to have any effect on thick things such as synchro
rings.
John Kipping