fot

RE: State of the Onion speech

To: "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: State of the Onion speech
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:25:22 -0800
If we're really going to be serious about this...

A hydrogen transportation economy is actually technically sound. The
gasoline you burn in cars is NOT oil, it's petroleum based, a relatively
small component that is fractioned from the feedstock. The process of
making gasoline requires a lot of energy, transportation and loss. The
only feedstock is oil.

Hydrogen can be generated from any electrical source and electrical
generation is rarely oil-fired. Western coal is not scarce and generation
plants can be mine-mouth. We also generate (and can generate more)
electricity from hydro, nuclear, wind, geothermal, and even photovoltaic.
Of all those choices I prefer Nuclear (as a former nuclear power plant
operator who still has an appreciation of how well these plant CAN work).
Transportation is less of a problem than gasoline because the Hydrogen
generation can occur anywhere with only minor transmission losses.

It's a good direction to take, has been well analyzed, and really does
require a national initiative by a leading power to undertake. The exhaust
is water vapor, no greenhouse gases. It can be done so that there is a net
positive for the environment and a sustainable mode of transportation.

But I'd hate to stand within a hundred yards of a Hydrogen powered
Triumph.