fot

Re: X-ray of parts

To: BillB@bnj.com, spitfiresuz@141.com, bownes@web9.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: X-ray of parts
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:21:31 EST
In a message dated 1/30/03 4:53:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

<< Dye penetrate testing is fun, but stay away from discos for a while after
 you do some. You'll light up like a searchlight. I always manage to get it
 all over myself.

I was dye checking front hubs for a while in the late 60's and early 70's
after breaking a hub at Summit Point, tearing off the left front fender, and
twisting up the original, optional, light front sway bar that ran under frame
like a pretzel.  I actually did find another couple hubs with surface cracks.

As Bill would know, radiographing is used in Nuclear Plants for checking
stainless steel piping and welds.  My guess would be that 95% of racing part
failures result from fatigue, which start with surface cracks.