fot

RE: Retorquing head gaskets

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Retorquing head gaskets
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:02:56 -0800
FOT,

As with Michael, I found that time alone allowed for additional torquing with
composite gaskets.  I first discovered this with my Norton motorcycle.  The
"flame ring" gasket at the bottom of the jugs (cylinders) compressed overnight.
If you didn't wait, and installed the head, there was no going back to retighten
it.  The next day, significant retightening was required. Waiting one more day
provided little or no further tightening.

When I installed composite gaskets in my TR3, I retightened the next day,
without needing to loosen first.  I also retorque hot immediately and retorque
cold 500 miles later.

Jack Brooks