fot

Re: Observation About "Funny Website" & Question About Virus

To: <Group44TR7@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Observation About "Funny Website" & Question About Virus
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:12:47 -0600
Funny website, or funny game, or interesting program -- and it is always the
"sender's" first effort and you are always the first to get it -- has been
around for many many months now. Just one of the variants of message this
virus uses.

The "sender" address is stolen from the address book of someone really
infected. It is never the real sender (who likely is clueless he is infected
or that he sent it). So messages back to the "sender" are futile. Deleting
e-mails only cleans out your mailbox (not a bad thing), does nothing to
thwart Klez.

And yes, Norton snags it. Some variants are self-opening, and the Norton
screen pops up automatically (I quarantine them, then periodically delete
the quarantine list). Other variants are the blank-text message with an
attachment, or the first game/program/website note ("I wish you would enjoy
it") -- always delete those immediately and do not open attachments. I'd
assume if you did open the attachment Norton would still snag it, but I've
never felt like I wanted to test that theory.

Other than those who are true computer gurus, we common folk cannot chase
down the source or the sender so they are best treated just by hitting the D
key. Instead of getting all excited or worried about it, just  consider it a
nasty bit of spam and delete.

And you'll notice the one that came to the FOT list had no attachment, just
that inane message. That's because Bradakis cleverly configures his Team.Net
server to strip all attachments. You won't get a virus from an FOT message
(but you may get some dumb-sounding e-mails).

--Rocky Entriken