fot

RE: Tim Suddard checking in. - Radiator

To: "'Bolton, Rich'" <rbolton@chartbank.net>,
Subject: RE: Tim Suddard checking in. - Radiator
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:35:25 -0800
The cost isn't the problem--it's very fragile. I don't think I got two
races out of mine. The neck is unsupported, pushing down on the radiator
cap to remove it will crack the neck where it attaches to the upper tank.
Welded that, then the lower tank cracked at the mounts. Welded that, then
the core cracked from the upper tank. Threw the radiator as far as I could
(hey, it's aluminum, it was pretty far) and had Mac's radiator in Portland
build me a custom one for about $150. If you want an original-looking
radiator, take your old one to a really good shop that does manufacturing
(many do) and have them recore without the crank hole. That helps. Better
yet, do what the rules allow and have a radiator custom made that will
still attach to the original mounting holes. That can mean a completely
extreme bracket holding a radiator that fills the nose of the car, and no
sanctioning body can complain (as long as they abide by the period GCRs).
While you're at it, don't have the filler built into the radiator. Use a
surge tank mounted higher than the rad and connect a self-venting line
from the high point of the radiator to the top of the tank. Then your fill
line can connect anywhere and you'll never worry about keeping your rad
full. Install a modern check-valve style radiator cap and you can have
fluid recovery. The radiator is the weak point for pressure and the reason
we run seven pound caps stock. You can run a higher pressure cap, though
with a good radiator you'll never need it.