fot

RE: Tim Suddard checking in. - Radiator

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tim Suddard checking in. - Radiator
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:23:39 -0800
> Welded that, then the lower tank cracked at the mounts.

FWIW, a very long time ago I had trouble with the stock tank mounts
cracking.  I switched to longer bolts for the lower mounts, with springs
between the bolt head and frame, so that if the frame flexed it could just
compress the spring instead of having to distort the radiator.  Worked well
for me.

> If you want an original-looking
> radiator, take your old one to a really good shop that does manufacturing
> (many do) and have them recore without the crank hole.

Also FWIW, Mac's radiator in Bellflower, CA had no trouble putting a new
core in an original radiator for me.  The result isn't as light as aluminum,
but it's noticeably lighter than stock.  Dunno how it would do for racing,
but the result has worked well for me on the street, including climbing the
Grapevine at about 85mph in 95F+ heat and puttering around in Palm Springs
in 115F. (The Hayden fan helps a lot too!)

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (sidelined for OD transplant)