fot

RE: brake pads and brake lines

To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" <mjb@autox.team.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: brake pads and brake lines
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:59:12 -0800
I don't think so, and the cost is fairly high for something that is not
really as safe or that performs as well as hard lines in long runs. I
tried it and didn't like it. I also find it awfully easy to chafe or
otherwise damage stainless braided lines.

I don't think conventional brake lines are stainless steel. It's hard to
form a flare in stainless and I doubt it could be done with the simple
double flare hand tools. I did a lot of stainless steel piping in my nuke
days. We used gland nuts, not flares. Of course it was thick wall, and
that might have something to do with it. The hand-bendable hard lines
appear to be composite--perhaps even a tube inside a tube.