fot

Re: Fuel pumps

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "'Allen Washatko'"
Subject: Re: Fuel pumps
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:39:00 -0600
Very surprising. I went through several brands of electric fuel pumps until
I got to the Holley. Other brands just were not reliable. That was several
years ago, the same Holleys are still in the car.  Can't really say I've had
a problem. IMHO, quality is excellent.

I have the Holley Red in my race-prepped Spitfire. Which, IIRC, is a 7.5
pounds of pressure pump. First one I bought was a Blue, 15 pounds, but that
was too much for my needs and I found a counterman who understood my needs
better and put me together with the Red. Virtually same price.

Like Bill says, I have two. Each has its own switch. I got a fuel cell with
two fuel pickups, one in each rear corner, and run one pump from each
pickup. They tee into a single line just before the line that goes forward
to the front of the car and the carbs. I have a fuel filter in the line
before the pump on each side, and another fuel filter up front just before
it goes into the pressure regulator (which came with the Holley, BTW).
They're those nice little glass filters, which lets me see the pumps are
actually pumping.

Holley pumps are pretty reliable and bullet proof, but not totally
maintenance free. You occasionally (maybe once a year) have to take off the
plate at the pump end and clean things up. The little removable vanes can
get rusty from water in the fuel and need to be de-rusted (wire brush works
fine). Other than that, just clean things up and put it all back together.

--Rocky Entriken