fot

RE: fuel system questions

To: "'TeriAnn Wakeman'" <twakeman@cruzers.com>,
Subject: RE: fuel system questions
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:32:28 -0800
Yup, relays are fine as long as you put a substantial current through them
and use them when you need them. When you don't, you need to be really
careful about what you use. The point isn't really that relays are evil,
it's that you shouldn't add complexity that you don't need, and when you
do, you should make very sure that you've been careful enough about the
specs to compensate for the added complexity. One more component to fail,
one more set of contacts to get fouled or intermittent.

The standard approach to switches (more capacity for the contacts is
better so you size them two to five times the likely current) doesn't
apply to relays because the contact pressure is so light. Low current
across relays were the bane of phone systems and the reason why your phone
connection used to be so variable. Call it a personal thing--I built a
computer when I was 13 that used hundreds of relays as flip-flops. It
rarely worked. I tend to avoid the little buggers in favor of a directly
switched circuit with adequate switches.