fot

Re: Accusump operation

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Accusump operation
From: "Gary & Gretchen" <garygret@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:01:21 -0500
My PO Chip told me to open it up before starting , wait for the pressure to
droop indicating all had flowed that was going to (maybe 30# after 30-60
seconds), then start it up. While prelubing, the dash gauge comes up to the
Accusump pressure over several seconds as the engine is pressurized, then
slowly trails off together as the oil flows. The Accusump manual says you
should have about 20# of residual air pressure in the tank when everything's
empty to act as an air spring - the dash drops to zero at this point.
Whenever the valve is open and engine running the Accusump gauge reads
pretty much the same as the dash gauge, both showing 70-80# at idle (cold
Mobil 1) within a couple seconds after starting. On transient revs the
Accusump lags by a few seconds then matches the dash again, presumably doing
what an accumulator should.

Back in the pits, rev up slightly to build pressure and close valve to
capture peak pressure for next start. My new one holds pressure for a few
weeks, the prior one lost pressure in 1-2 days. If the pressure's gone by
the next race, pump up the air valve to normal pressure. I could probably
locate the manual and send it to you if you  like.

Gary Schneider
37EP TR4