fot

Re: Spitfire Quick Change Rear end

To: Tom Strange <tstrange@new.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Quick Change Rear end
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:40:35 -0700
Tom Strange wrote:

> Joe,
>   I havent tried your method, although I have thought of it many times, 3
> hrs is not a bad time to have done the complete job.  I am curious though
> about your phantom grip.  I am just now getting ready to take mine for its
> first test ride here in 2 or 3 weeks.  Which set of springs did you put in
> yours.... as I remember there were two sets, the standard and a "race"set
> (two different colors as I remember).

I used the green (Race set).

>   Also, just what did the phantom grip seem to do, and how well?  I guess
> another relevant question would be how hard do you drive the car?  Do you
> consistantly have the inside rear wheel off the ground? on the ground but
> light with little traction? keep it firmly planted on the ground?????

On launch one wheel slips more than the other but the real problem is in
high speed turns.  I could feel it loading u and breaking loose
constantly during the turn.  A real jerky feeling which is not (In my
humble opinion) very conducive to good traction.)  The Quaife on the
other hand is much smoother.  Since I changed front springs and added a
rear sway bar, I haven't had the problem of wheel lift (at least nobody
has told me of it lately)!

>   I assume you have the camber compensator on the car?

No.  It is a GT6 rotoflex suspension with the rotoflex replaced with a
CV joint.  So there is no need for the CC.

>   I'm sure driving style will have a lot to do with whether or not we think
> the thing is doing anything...   I fear your telling me I may have wasted my
> time and money here.

Only you can determine that.  Since I only paid $150 for the PG that I
got (Thanks Steve!) I didn't lose all that much.  And If I put it in
Huxley the street Spit) it won't be any waste at all!

Cheers,
Joe