fot

RE: Little cars

To: BillB@bnj.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Little cars
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 22:45:01 +0000
  If you think they remotely resemble the higher end diecasts then you're
simply looking at the wrong
  ones.

  Diecasts in the $200 range now approach the level of handbuilt models that
sell for thousands.

  I won't argue with that point. In fact there are some remarkable diecasts
from Art Model that look
  much more expensive at under $100.

  The new slot cars I'm talking about those from Fly in Spain and the new
cars from Scalextric and a
  number of smaller manufacturers are a very far cry from the set cars of
the 50-70s. These cars DO
  approach diecast in quality and detail furthermore, they have the added
advantage of being kinetic.
  They move... with the "ground effects" of rare earth magnets which most
are equipped today, are
  breathtakingly quick and fun to drive. Each manufacturer and for that
matter, car has it's strong points
  and weak points. They also can be tinkered with and improved (like real
cars). My son-in-law the
  computer gamer was amazed to discover every car in my collection drives a
bit different from the next.

  Will they replace diecasts? Nope. Will they replace real cars? Hell no...
`Different mission, if you will. Will
  they will give us something to do in the cold months, or as the Brits say
about flywheels "keep the
  works moving on the  strokes"? You bet!

  Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)