fot

Re: Oil - what kind?

To: "Mike Rose" <lytspeed@hotmail.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil - what kind?
From: "Richard Taylor" <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:31:31 -0400
Mike,

So what's wrong w/ 2.5" rear wheel travel.

I still ride my radial-head Maico 400 that I bought new in '73. It was
originally prepared by Brian Kenny and  rebuilt a couple of years ago by
Barry Higgens (names you might remember).  Last year I took it to a local
supercross track in hopes that they would have a vintage class.  They
didn't, so I just entered the Open Class.

Yes, it was crazy, but, as you know, there is something totally compulsive
and irresponsible about motocross racing anyway.  I guess it never quite
goes away.

Why I tried the second jump, I can't answer.  I learned absolutely
everything I needed to know upon landing the first one.  It was a
spine-rattling event even though I landed the rear wheel down way early. For
the balance of the first moto and for the entire second one, the best show I
could put on was hard-charging the jumps, aggressive front-wheel braking,
then wheelying down the backside of every single drop-off.  On the
straight-aways, I'm proud to say, the Maico could still hold its own. The
whoop-dee-doos were excruciating.

In the end I came in last place, but the crowd absolutely loved it! I think
they saw me as some weird visitation of a long forgotten era; and perhaps I
am. Yes, I still wear my old High Point boots with all the buckles aflying,
a dirty-white plastic Jaffa mouthpiece and the clumsy old gloves that have
those yellow enduro rubber ribs over the fingers. And my helmet and jersey
have no flames.

Back in the pits, a bunch of the other racers (kids really) came by to see
what 2.5" of rear wheel travel really looks like. Quite honestly, I think
they were measurably awed (especially for kids)...or maybe just frightened
at the totally-exhausted, coke-sucking, gray-bearded visage sitting on his
blue plastic milk crate.

Richard Taylor

Atlanta