fot

Re: Oil-What kind?

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil-What kind?
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 22:39:02 -0500
The engine in the car I am restoring/reconstructing is a race engine
with the head pretty radically milled and some sort of race cam.  Other
than that, I haven't taken it apart to try and figure out what's in
it.   I have no idea what oil was used or is in it now, other than it's
clean!  From this thread it would seem that the consensus is, there is
no consensus!  I gather that the benifits of the synthetics is its
resistance to varnish at high temperatures.  On an engine that is being
cooled okay, I would think the mineral oil is just as good.  And
apparently so do a number of you folks, based on the comments.
Question: What oil do you think I should use in this "unknown" engine.
The plan is to run the engine for a season to just get the car on the
track and some "seat" time and then take it from there.  That's
assuming, of course, that it lasts a season.
     I read with interest the comments about oil changes.  It always
seemed to me to be really cheap "insurance" compared to an engine
rebuild.
    Also, I am to the point of building the mounting for the fuel cell.
Are there any brands/suppliers that are recommended?  What size would be
recommended?  And, lastly, what is the "preferred" method of mounting?
I have seen some that hang down below the trunk pan, but that seems a
bit risky.
    The thread on the fuel pumps/regulator/pressure/flow was of real
interest.  I'll have to go back over that and figure out what to
Engineer for the car.  Good stuff.
    The car is a 1961 TR-4, CT511R.

Thanks for any suggestions.  I thouroughly enjoy reading the various
threads on the list and find them very informative, and at times quite
entertaining!  Beats watching TV.

Tim Murphy