fot

Re: Clutches

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutches
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:01:56 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I just got off the phone with a guy named Dave (the only Dave there) from
SPEC Clutches... I ordered a clutch setup from them for the race car. Dave
was very helpful and quite familiar with our cars, so I would recommend
them from a customer perspective. It was a pleasant experience.

The clutch that I ordered is a "stage 2" setup, and the clutch pressure
plate, clutch disk,  throwout bearing and alignment tool was $259. I also
ordered a "lightweight" setup for and additional $49. This should be about
20% lighter than stock (which is a good thing if you rev. the piss out of
your engine).

At any rate, for those out there thinking about clutch options, I would
recommend dealing with SPEC. 1-800-828-4379. Ask for Dave.

What set me off on this particular adventure was about 5 phone calls
yesterday trying to track down a clutch where the seller could ID the
contents of the kit. Virtually every local clutch shop gave me the line
"we'll let you know what you're getting when we open the box". I need a
little more info than that if I'm going to plunk down some dough, so I
started calling around. The calls led me to Fidanza, Tilton, Dave Bean and
a few local clutch shops. I also tried Centerforce and another (which
slips me right now), but suffice to say those calls ended pretty much with
"what's a Triumph - who makes that?".

But I found some neat stuff.

Tilton is an option, but you need a custom flywheel setup. The
reason for this is that Tilton does not make a direct bolt-in 8.5
inch clutch for our cars. They make 8.5 inch, but the applications
are Honda and other cars from the land of the rising sun.  So they
offer a 7.25 inch single disk setup, but you have to machine the
flywheel.

Forget that, I just dropped $300 for a Fidanza flywheel. That led me to
Dave Bean. Turns out that they have a stock (unknown quantity) of Tilton
flywheels (probably not made by Tilton, but Tilton's design) for _early_
long-tail TR6 cranks. So, for you eary TR6 guys looking for a source for
an early TR6 flywheel - there is a source, at least for now.

I then had communication with Tom Fidanza. He suggested SPEC. This was a
good lead. SPEC, 800-828-4379. Ask for Dave.

That's all for now.

rml
p.s. for some info about SPEC clutches, go to www.clutchcityonline.com and
click on the "SPEC" logo.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |