fot

RE: corvette tranny in GT6?

To: "'Chris Kantarjiev'" <cak@dimebank.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: corvette tranny in GT6?
From: "Russ Moore" <rem@cbord.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:55:06 -0400
It's possible to mate any transmission with any engine. It's just a question
of how much time and $$ you want to invest in it. There are lots of
instances currently of folks putting Orient based boxes into British iron,
some vintage sanctioning bodies now even allow it. (unfortunately) A company
called Advanced Adapters manufactures conversion parts for some of the more
widely done conversions, ie Chevy and Ford V-8s into Jeep CJs and even many
of the imported 4x4s.

Making a modification on an input shaft is a simple task along with the nose
housing and custom built clutch disks with matching centers are also
available.. Adapter plates can be fashioned for bell housings and drive
shafts can be custom built. A corvette box is a pretty heavy lump, but I
suppose if you wanted more ballast, one could do such a conversion. Perhaps
it had straight cut gears and was desirable.
Anything is possible, the question is, is it practical? One magazine in the
past featured someone dropping a Cat diesel engine into a Spitfire. All that
comes to mind is "Why?" Remember it's stuff like this that allowed Ripley
the "Believe it or Not" books.

I have a 1984 C4 Corvette that has the Doug Nash 7 speed in it, I suppose
there are some who would like that in a Triumph, I am not among them. As a
result it still lives in the plastic pig. Possibilities are endless with
some creative machining, (and deep pockets). Likely the story had some
factual basis to it.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49