fot

RE: corvette tranny in GT6?

To: "'Russ Moore'" <rem@cbord.com>, "'Chris Kantarjiev'"
Subject: RE: corvette tranny in GT6?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:24:47 -0700
I think the sanctioning of Japanese boxes for brit iron is probably an OK
thing for the sport. Most of the people who campaign these cars do not
have the endlessly deep pockets required to keep a period-correct 1959
Testarossa on the track--or an Austin Healy 100-6 with it's very expensive
and fragile stock transmission.

On the other hand, with enough demand, the price for Qaife dog boxes might
come down, or at least stabilize. It's unpleasant to see great old cars
bastardized to keep them on the track, but the only real alternative for
many folks is not to run them at all--and a Toyota transmission in the
tunnel is not a really obvious change. In the broad spectrum of people
there are those who think that would be just fine--that running historic
cars to death on a track is some sort of sacrilege. At the other end is
folks who think anything from the Summit catalog should be OK.