fot

RE: hub removal TR3A-6

To: "'Gerald Van Vlack '" <jerryvv@alltel.net>,
Subject: RE: hub removal TR3A-6
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:09:20 -0700
 It's absolutely true, any cleaning od that peens or scratches the surface
can compromise a penetrant test. It's not likely that for most  it will
matter (the penetrant will work it's way around the peening), but it can.
Plastic media does not peen or scratch the surface, that's why I use it.
If I used beads or sand I would acid etch, but I rarely use them because
they get places where they shouldn't.

Acid etching steel parts is not difficult BTW and is worth knowing if yoy
want to do high strength brazing or test a part that's been in rubbing
contact (which smears metal over ). The simplest approach is dilute
muriatic acid like you use for concrete cleaning. And remember, do what
you otta, add acid to watta. A few minutes turns the part dark, which is
what you want. Rinse well and wash with detergent and hot water. If you
want to be more technical about it, there are etching instructions in most
books about knifemaking (David Boyes excellent book comes to mind). You
don't want to remove serious amounts of metal, just a little of the
surface.