fot

RE: brake drums

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: brake drums
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:41:21 -0700
Well it undoubtedly happened during a race. You ain't driving that car on
the street.

I don't think you're going to have real problems with the drum, even when
you see cracks like that. The cast iron is just for friction--it's not all
that structural. Cracks are common in aluminum drums with cast liners
because the aluminum expands so much when it's hot. You could make a point
for pre-breaking liners to reduce the risk of them distorting the drum or
separating from the aluminum.

Back in the good days of iron mechanics and wooden motorcycles we had huge
double-sided four leading shoe drum brakes on the front of racing bikes.
The leading shoes, tight courses and high speeds pumped a lot of heat into
the drums. The linings cracked like crazy and we ignored them--mainly
because a 210mm 4LS brake cost a small fortune and we never wanted to
replace them. I don't remember any failures, even though some of them
looked like jigsaw puzzles.

Of course now that I've said that my back wheels are going to fall off.