fot

Crankshaft Bolts Again?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankshaft Bolts Again?
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:37:00 EDT
Dear FOT,

After Kas's mini-seminars on hard, non-stretch flywheel bolts, I decided to
check the type of bolts that I have been using.  Sure enough, they were nice
shinny grade 8 bolts, which are not supposed to be good enough.  I then decided
to compare these bolts with the stock TR flywheel bolts.  The stock TR bolts
have a larger head and a short section under the head that is not threaded.  Is
there any remote chance that the British may have supplied hard non-stretch
bolts?

Due to the lack of anything else, I used the stock flywheel bolts to mount
the aluminum flywheel to the crankshaft.  Hopefully, they will be good enough
last until my next calamity, by using the light Tilton clutch.  As of yet, I
have never had any steel or aluminum flywheels rip off or come loose.  That is
not to say that it can't happen.  There are a few airports around Pittsburgh,
so there should be some aircraft supply houses in the vicinity, or maybe I
can mail order some hard bolts.

There was only one Triumph Spitfire registered to race in the Pittsburgh
Vintage Grand Prix this year. It looked like there were a couple hundred
beautifully restored Triumphs on display covering the top of the hill around
the WPTA
Tent - British Car Day.