fot

barking carbs

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: barking carbs
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:38:31 -0400
FOTers

Last weekend I competed in the VDCA event at the Barber Motorsport Park in
Birmingham, AL. Beautiful weekend and a terrific track but I came home early
with a curious motor problem.

On the track at full throttle I first lost one, then a second then a third
cylinder until the engine quit entirely. After a ten minute rest the car
restarted and struggled (ran roughly) back to the paddock. It was low on
water.  I let it cool over night and started it the next morning.  If I revved
the motor slowly, it would come on up to full rpms.  However, if I blip the
throttle quickly, it stumbles and barks fiercely out of the velocity stacks.

I retarded the timing but nothing changed.  I checked the movement of the
carburetor pistons and they look normal. So I packed up my stuff and drove the
150 miles back to Atlanta in OD ( 2500 rpms, +60 mph).  Temp and oil pressure
was normal and there was no measurable loss of either fluid. On uphill grades
(i.e.., under load) the barking carb syndrome would return.

The internals of the motor sound normal.

Any ideas of where to start looking?  I'm kinda puzzled.

Richard Taylor
TR-4 Atlanta