fot

RE: Tires and Wheels

To: "'Randy B. Williams'" <rwilliams@williamsoil.com>,
Subject: RE: Tires and Wheels
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:13:23 -0700
I just got a very nice, fairly light set of minilite knockoffs from Bob
Yarwood. They weren't cheap but they are gorgeous--the best looking
vintage style wheels I've seen. I had them made with the minimum offset
they could accommodate for the casting--in case we're not looking at
offset the same way, minimum offset gives the widest wheelbase. They are
silver painted with the slick hard paint they use on modern wheels so
they'll be easier to keep clean. 15 X 6 is what you probably want to
accommodate the 15 X 5.50 tires you'll probably use. I assume you're
racing vintage, so you'll need to check with the sanctioning body you race
with about allowable tires. Most permit the Hoosier TDs. They look like a
60 profile but seem to be treated as 70 by most organizations--that is,
using them doesn't bump you from vintage to historic.

Some organizations (notably HMSA in California) don't allow the Hoosiers
in the class you'd be running in. there you must use the Dunlop racing
tires, which seem to have about the same durometer rating as rollerblade
wheels. They are also 15 X 5.50 (you can get 5.00, but why would you?).
I've heard that Dunlop has a new tire that's allowable in many areas, but
I haven't tried them.

Yarwoods number is 541-895-2718