fot

Re: Tires and Wheels

To: "Randy B. Williams" <rwilliams@williamsoil.com>,
Subject: Re: Tires and Wheels
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:17:25 -0500
Randy, I run Panasport 15x6 wheels on my TR-4.  They will fit a TR-3
too.  Paul Spruell has good pricing on these: 800-552-2532 /
www.paulspruell.com .  Just tell them what it's for and they'll send the
right offset.  I think they were about $160 each when I bought them last
year.  They are high quality and will work with oversized 1/2" studs
without modification.  I run Hoosier Vintage TD 5.50 x 15 tires.  Some
prefer the lower slip angles of radial tires.  As Bill Babcock mentioned,
some vintage organizations want you to run Dunlops.  They are considerably
slower, but probably more "vintage" than the sticky Hoosiers.  I love the
Hoosiers - good grip but you can get way out of shape and still generally
save the car.

Especially if you are running the Hoosiers, stock rear axles and front hubs
may break and you then lose a wheel.  If you haven't already, you should
look at the Southwick rear axle conversion (puts Ford rear axles in the
stock TR-3 / 4 rear end).  The stock front hubs can be reinforced, or it
sounds like a run of the southwick aluminum front hubs may be in the
works.  Pictures of the Southwick parts are at
http://www.tonydrews.com/Jack_Parts.htm .  I have no financial interest in
these parts (despite the fact that they are listed on my website), just
want to have others avoid the fate we suffered.

- Tony Drews
'63 TR-4 #95 (ex R. John Lye car)