fot

RE: oil pump rotors

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: oil pump rotors
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:44:02 -0700
Cambridge's stuff is a little spotty. Some of it is really good and some
is pretty questionable. As you can see even in the photo on their website
the pump shaft key has sharp edges. Really unnecessary--it would nave been
much easier to grind them with a radius. I suspect it's just better steel,
hardened. It's an easy part to have made. I had a retired machinist make
me a couple and harden them properly when I started seeing excessive wear
on the original parts. He radiused and polished everything--I didn't think
about it until he showed me what he had done and why.

While we're talking about machining and steels, I have a question. A few
weeks ago I dug up a couple of inner tie rod ends for a 80 Subaru Brat
with a 16 X 1.50 mm female threaded ball joint that fit the rack in
Peyote. I had to have the rods shortened, a step machined and threaded.
Both came from Moog, but were obviously manufactured in different places.
One had a cadmium plated steel rod, and it was easy to machine. The other
looks like cast steel, rough surface, very black, that had been machined
and threaded. When the machinist tried to center drill the rod his bit
wouldn't even scratch it. We tried a titanium drill and carbide, and
nothing even marked it. What the heck is this stuff? I have a hard time
thinking they would have hardened it after machining because the piece
doesn't have to be this hard--it's just a link. It probably shouldn't be
hard--it should bend rather than break. And if they didn't harden it
after, how did they machine it?