fot

Re: Narrow belt conversion.

To: "Simon Rasmussen" <Simon@telephonestogo.ca>
Subject: Re: Narrow belt conversion.
From: "T.R. Scratchings" <wob@dandrade.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:55:09 +0100
Lucas alternators & 4-cyl TR engines are not the best of friends. Exhaust
manifold heat can be a problem, but the casings almost always fracture at
the front mounting lug first. You can beef up the rear engine mounting lug,
but why not go for a Nippondenso alternator? Higher output, less weight &
bulk, & utter reliability. I forget the exact type, (Suzuki SJ 410 rings a
bell)but a good rifle through the stocks of a yard will always yield
something useful. Then fit a top adjuster link from a Jaguar 6-cyl, and all
is well.
  The MGB pulley is fairly simple to fit. We use a press-on sleeve with the
same o/d as the TR pulley boss, which gives the correct offset, and is
compatible with the original seal. It is necessary to reduce the height of
the Woodruff key to suit the shallow keyway in the MG pulley, or it will
split it. The sleeve also causes a slight pinch around the keyway area, so
it's worth just running a boring tool through the centre to true up the
pulley bore again.
Sleeves cost #8.50 over here - maybe there's already a Speedisleeve
available in the US?
Jon Wood             Classic Racecraft