fot

RE: Subject: ignition timing

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Subject: ignition timing
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:56:39 -0700
Theoretically there should be some effect from runout, in practice it's
dinky--especially compared to what you'll see with points. I waited a long
time to stick a pertronix on Peyote because I was pretty satisfied with
the dual point Mallory (if it ain't broke...). Then I bent the shaft and
had to use a Lucas. With the points and a Lucas disty, the timing jumped
all over (the shaft was worn, not just bent). I stuck on the Pertronix and
the timing turned rock-solid. Four and one were identical. Going to a new
Lucas distributor didn't change a thing (but it's prettier).

The gap isn't very critical. Changing it doesn't change the timing much,
but as you open it at some point one cylinder will drop out. I suspect an
optical trigger would be even less subject to variation since the window
is at right angles to the rotor, but all in all, these things are pretty
insensitive.

The original point was that you could cure most of the wandering timing
caused by mild distributor runout with a mag trigger because it's way less
sensitive to runout than points.