fot

Little Bits

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Little Bits
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:52:40 -0700
Had a great weekend at the Sovern Fall Finale. I really like racing at
Pacific Raceways. Fun track. I had a good time even though I had cylinder
head issues on Saturday (fortunately I brought along the old head and
swapped it) and Peyote fragged it's transmission in about the fifteenth
lap of the enduro. Darn, and it was going so well--I started near the back
but got past all the formula fords, trans am cars and other stuff and was
running fourth behind two big XKEs and a Porsche 910. Then boom! At least
I know my funky little scattershield works.

When I say fragged I mean fragged. I think the flywheel bolts broke and
then the flywheel took everything else out. I was going at max speed at
the end of the straight when it happened. A little shudder, the RPMs
popped up to 7K, and everything got all noisy and confusing. The
transmission sagged down into hard contact with the pavement but didn't do
anything crazy, like pole-vaulting me onto my head. I got the car slowed
down and turned into the infield, cutting a huge furrow for about 300
feet. Lots of drama. There's nothing left of the bell housing and I can
see gears in the tranny (that seems wrong).

Oh well, season's over anyway. I need to find a good TR6 case. I don't
care about the gears, I'm going to put what's left of my nice dog gear
trans into it. Anyone have a candidate?