fot

Need Information on unique aftermarket Spitfire Hardtop

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Need Information on unique aftermarket Spitfire Hardtop
From: J M Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:37:21 -0700
At Triumphest, a guest asked me if I knew anything about kind of hard
top he once had on a Spitfire that he once owned years ago.   He would
like to know more about it... part for nostalgia... to know what he
had... but secondly.... as he's got the Spitfire bug in him again, and I
think he is interested in putting together the same combo again...
Here's what he basically described to me....

It was a hardtop that made a Spitfire into a hatchback of sorts.   He
was clear, it was not a GT6... To install this hardtop, you would remove
the Spitfire trunk lid and fuel cap.   The fuel cap was repositioned.
There was some sort of a drop in the back of the top, that cut back, (I
asked if it was something like a TR7 rear window and he said, "no, not
quite like that, but you have the idea...")    It sounded like quite a
unique hardtop.   (It reminded me of the TR4 Dove, but this is
definitely just a bolt-on affair.)

Does anyone know who made this?  If they're still being made?  If anyone
has one to sell?  Anyone have pictures of one?  (even without info,
pictures would probably help in the quest for what he is looking for.)

I would really like to get this information for the guy, as he is quite
a car enthusiast and shares all our passions for the marquee.

Thanks in advance.

--Justin Wagner