fot

Re: Need Information on unique aftermarket Spitfire Hardtop

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need Information on unique aftermarket Spitfire Hardtop
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:08:53 EDT
In a message dated 10/18/2003 10:38:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jmwagner@greenheart.com writes:

> It was a hardtop that made a Spitfire into a hatchback of sorts.   He
> was clear, it was not a GT6... To install this hardtop, you would remove
> the Spitfire trunk lid and fuel cap.   The fuel cap was repositioned.
> There was some sort of a drop in the back of the top, that cut back, (I
> asked if it was something like a TR7 rear window and he said, "no, not
> quite like that, but you have the idea...")   It sounded like quite a
> unique hardtop.   (It reminded me of the TR4 Dove, but this is
> definitely just a bolt-on affair.)
>
> Does anyone know who made this?  If they're still being made?  If anyone
> has one to sell?  Anyone have pictures of one?  (even without info,
> pictures would probably help in the quest for what he is looking for.)

Justin, take a look at (and pass along to your friend) this URL: <
http://amicale.com/spitfire/hardtop1.htm

>From the Amicale Spitfire (French Spitfire Club) web site. There are quite a
few different aftermarket hardtops of various shapes depicted in photographs.
I'm not sure if any one of them is what your friend might have had, but then
again... ?

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
  Triumph Herald engine with wings.

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/herald1200/database/";>Check out the North
American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse) and Herald Database</A>!