fot

David and Goliath (was racing with VARA)

To: dave@microworks.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: David and Goliath (was racing with VARA)
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:29:43 EST
In a message dated 10/30/03 12:39:40 PM, dave@microworks.net writes:

<<  But if what you are saying is true I find
those policies to be extremely negligent. While it might be one thing to run
a Spitfire along side the ground pounding Mustangs and Vettes if their lap
times are the same the weight difference and strength of the Chassis would mean
that the Spitfire which
could hold it's own in a collision with a Mini, MGB, etc... would certainly
get the short end of a tangle with a "big" car. And while some sports racers
can share the track with production cars not all can and an Open-wheel car
should NEVER share RACE track time with anything that big.  >>

Well, yes and no. One of the things we noted in our magazine when we wrote a
story about the Lotus 26R (superlight racing Lotus Elite) was that it was
classed historically and still runs with the big Mustangs and Camaros. Drivers
either accepted that fact and dealt with it, or raced something else.

Also, look at any set of historic photos from club racing, and you'll note
open-wheelers running with sedans. Sure, one isn't as safe in an open-wheel car
in a confrontation between the two (many drivers eschew open-wheel cars in
general because they're inherently more dangerous in confrontations even among
their kin), and it's certainly not a practice that most clubs routinely
endorse,
but there are some drivers who welcome the opportunity to actually race with
someone at their performance level and are willing to take the extra caution
(is there any such thing as TOO MUCH caution in racing, btw?) that the
situation merits.
I have a good friend who, given the choice of racing his 998cc-powered Genie
with the small-bore production class or the typical group of sports racers,
will go out with the production guys every time, since he at least gets to
race,
instead of being a moving chicane for the big boys in the Chevrons.
There is something to be said for the inherent safety in cars with evenly
matched performance racing in the same grid, that may in some peoples' minds
outweigh the potential issues in unmatched body styles.
It's worth noting, by the way, that none of this represents VARA's point of
view or an official statement of their policies, or those of any other racing
group, but is only one person's opinion, based on personal observations.

Cheers
Gary Anderson
Editor, Classic Motorsports magazine