fot

RE: Learning to Drive

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Learning to Drive
From: "Jim Gambony" <britbits@tiu.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 17:47:55 -0600
If you've got the time to spend doing it, autocrossing is a great way to
learn how to hustle the car around corners.  In terms of track time/time at
the site it doesn't compare to track racing (usually get 4 minutes of "seat"
time in an 8 hour day) but you do learn the cornering limits of the car, and
maybe some tweaks on setting it up too.

In autocrossing (or slalom) you learn the exact limits of the tires and your
suspension setup.  Granted, it's at 20 to 50 mph instead of at speed... But
the handling skills do help when you do make it to the track.

In the SCCA the consensus is that autocrossers make an easier transition to
road racing than road racers do trying to autocross.  When I ran TWS in my
Mini Cooper S back in the mid 90s on street Yokos, most of the infield turns
were like autocrossing.  :D

Cheers,

Jim