fot

Re: spitfire rear end ratio

To: matt matthews <mattspit@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: spitfire rear end ratio
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:25:49 -0700
matt matthews wrote:

> Thanks for all the info
>
> but
>
> The rules allow me any rear end ratio. The limitation is they need to fit
> inside the standard housing. As you all point out they did not make
> something close to 3.4 just 3.24 and 2.63 as the closest. I can just turn
> 7000 Counterclockwise with the 3.2 depending on my skill on the corner
> entering the main straight. I would like a little more torque but the 3.63
> is not right either.
> I was thinking of trying to find a ring and pinion form some other not
> triumph car that had a ratio near 3.4 and modify it so it would fit inside
> the spitfire housing and onto the spitfire carrier.
>
> The year of my spitfire is questionable since most of it is not spitfire
> anyway, a lot of GT-6, some ford, some chevy, some volkswagon some
> aftermarket etc. It is a squaretail in body style. Whatever the rules allow.
> I have about 10-15 rear ends in most of the ratios mentioned.

I recall someone from GB saying that the factory competitions department had a
few 3.45:1 gear sets for the GT6 diff,
but I doubt they are available today.

Why not just reduce the tire circumference? A five percent reduction in the
rolling circumference makes a 3.27 about a
3.4. Alternatively, a five percent increase in rolling circumference makes a
3.63 effectively a 3.45.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.