fot

Re: cheap aluminum jack

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cheap aluminum jack
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:59:37 -0500
In a message dated 12/9/2003 2:16:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mjb@autox.team.net writes:

> The jack I picked up earlier this year at Harbor Fright has a saddle height
> of something like 3.5 inches, compared to the 5.5 or so of the Sears shop
> jack I've been using.  Even at 3.5, it is still too high to get under the
> front frame of a Spit when the car is sporting 20 x N x 13 slicks.
>
> What we did this spring to the red racing Spit is put a forged eye bolt
> through the front bumper/bonnet mount frame crossmember....

Clever! Admittedly, what we used to do many years ago, in the heyday of the
Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4 autocrosser, was to simply carry a couple short lengths
of 2" x 6" wood. Drive the front wheels up onto the wood, insert jack, Bob's
your uncle, etc.

And we simply will NOT discuss the one time that the co-owner of the car* -- in
haste -- accidentally mistook the bottom tank of the radiator for a jacking
point.... :-(

--Andy Mace

*Not me, the OTHER co-owner! I, however, was the one who had to come up with
another radiator.