fot

Re: SPAX shocks and springs

To: "John Price" <jprice1@txcyber.com>,
Subject: Re: SPAX shocks and springs
From: Bob Buxbaum <snaponbob@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:40:51 -0500
At 08:15 PM 12/11/2003, John Price wrote:
>OK, guys, here's a question for you:
>
>My TVR (Triumph-powered) has independent suspension with top and bottom
>wisbones front and rear.
>
>I am currently running SPAX adjustable shocks with coil-over Hyperco springs.
>The spring and shock length is what determines the ride height of the car.
>With my springs at their free length (with just a little pre-load) and the
>adjusting collars all the way to the bottom the shocks are fully extended. I
>need to lower my car about 1-1/2 to 2". Is is possible to go to shorter
>springs without having to replace the shocks (I have six, and it's a major
>economic consideration)? My main concern is that the preload is what holds the
>top retaining collar in place and a shorter spring will make it impossible to
>put any kind of preload on the spring. Without a pre-load the top collar will
>just fall off at full rebound. Running the adjusting collar up will not help
>as it will defeat the purpose of the shorter spring.
>
>If no one has an answer, does anyone have a source for SPAX shocks? They still
>seem to be the least expensive of all the alternatives.
>
>John Price

John,

Spax shocks are readily available from England (shipping really isn't all
that bad), and stateside as well. The cheap and dirty way of resolving your
problem is VERY firm bump rubbers on the shock shafts so that the shock
will not bottom out if you really fully compress your suspension.  If you
find the shorter shocks you will naturally limit the total travel of your
suspension. Obviously the right way is to find the correct shocks for your
application and then offer up the GT6/Spitfire Spax units for sale on this
message group. (No, I don't want them, I already have them on my GT6.)

Remember, the best way to become a millionaire in racing is to start with
TWO million.

Bob and Mary Buxbaum
Chesapeake, Va.

snaponbob@cox.net