fot

Re: Triumph '46 Renown

To: aerodin@swbell.net
Subject: Re: Triumph '46 Renown
From: BRITPAC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:57:36 EST
I had a nice Renown, neat car, like to have it back.

The '46 used the 1800 engine and gearbox, also used in the Roadster. This is
a miserable engine, a conversion of a prewar side valve design. I have a lot
of hours keeping one running, and even if you can, the power output is
miserable, like a giant Mayflower. Parts are hard to get too: only members of
the
Razoredge or Roadster clubs can get 'em. You might find a stock driveline, but
there's a reason it's a spare.

However, the later Renown models used the 2 liter Vanguard engine that the TR
is based on. Many have been converted to use the TR driveline, and since the
original stuff is gone, that's the way to go. It won't really hurt the value,
and it will be a lot more useful. The Vanguard is dimensionally the same but
with smaller valves and a single downdraft carb. The TR motor looks right at
home in there, weighs about the same, and if you painted the valve cover black,
how many people would know the difference?

Sounds like a fun project.

Steve Hedke
Team Scrappy