fot

RE: Cold Air Boxes

To: <Fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cold Air Boxes
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:01:29 -0800
>        Is it vintage legal to have a modified air cleaner to route cold
> outside air into the carbs (from ducting fitted to the removed
> headlights) as an
> alternative to putting in the heat baffles between the carbs and exhaust
> manifold?  (Perhaps the first question should be whether this
> really is a good idea
> to improve power output)

On a related subject, does anyone know of float chamber lids that will fit
SU HS6 carbs, but have an external bowl vent (ala H6 carbs) ?

Stock TR4A HS6 carbs have the vents built into the lids such that it's
difficult to add a hose to them, but IMO connecting the vent to the air box
is a necessity for running a fresh air intake.  Otherwise, any pressure
difference between the top of the float chamber and the air box will affect
the fuel flow and hence mixture.    I could probably create something with
JB Weld, but if they already exist ...

(Thanks to Jack for pointing out this shortcoming in my planned street
setup.)

And no, I won't be passing anyone on a race course (only off of one) <g>

Randall