fot

RE: TR3 rear axle ratios?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 rear axle ratios?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:25:55 -0800
> I've got a friend in the area that posed the question of what ratios were
> available for the solid axle TRs.  He'd like something more appropriate to
> highway cruising,

3.45 is the tallest that will fit in the original housing.  Since it's only
5% below the original 3.7, it's hardly worth the effort.  It's also possible
to build up an OD with a taller ratio, using parts from other cars (AH I
think, maybe Jaguar).

> which here in Texas involves speeds up to 90mph if you
> don't want to be run over!

That actually shouldn't be a problem with the stock gears and overdrive ...
90 mph is only 3780 rpm in 4th OD on original size tires.

Randall