fot

RE: breakin

To: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>,
Subject: RE: breakin
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:09:13 -0800
It's definitely true that too much oil on the cylinder walls will prevent
the rings from sealing, and if they don't seal, the tips will get hot enough
from the blowby to lose temper during the initial break in (like, the first
two minutes) and they'll probably never seal.

BMW motorcycles are the worst. The old airheads that I worked on (air
cooled, horizontally opposed--it's painful for me to think of these as a
classic) would smoke like mad if you didn't do everything just right, and
sometimes if you did. After boring and honing with great care and exactly
the right grit with exactly the right cross hatch angle I would wash the
cylinders with detergent and hot water and let them air dry so they got a
thin coat of rust, put a little moly lube on the skirts, and assemble the
top end dry. Squirt some oil on the rockers and guides, and fire it up. If
it started smoking in the first two minutes you had to decide whether the
customer was worth a free do-over, 'cause that's the only thing that would
fix it.

All the rest of your process sounds mighty good.

The advantage of ring lapping is that it increases the likelihood that your
rings will seat by a bunch. Once I got hip to it I never had to redo a
Beemer top end. The extra 20 minutes saved me beaucoup hours.